15 key essential vitamins and minerals
Small, All-In-One, Once Daily Softgel Capsule
|Component||Quantity||% Daily Value in Pregnancy|
|Vitamin A||1100 IU||14%|
|Vitamin C||30 mg||50%|
|Vitamin D3||1000 IU||250%|
|Vitamin E||20 IU||67%|
|Vitamin B1||1.6 mg||94%|
|Vitamin B2||1.8 mg||90%|
|Vitamin B6||2.5 mg||100%|
|Folic Acid||1 mg||125%|
|Vitamin B12||12 mcg||150%|
|Elemental Iron (polysaccharide iron complex)||29 mg||161%|
|Omega-3 Fatty Acid: DHA from Algal||200mg||x|
x Daily value not established.
Gelatin (bovine BSE-free), Sorbitol, Glycerin, Soybean Oil, USP Purified Water, Yellow Beeswax, Dicalcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Vegetable Oil, FD&C Blue #1, Titanium Dioxide (color), Sodium Thiosulfate, Caramel (color), High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Tocopherols, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Contains: Soy.
- Vitamin D insufficiency is common in women of childbearing age (11).
- Studies have documented that 13-80% of pregnant women in the United States may be at risk of Vitamin D insufficiency or deficiency (1,2,3,4)
- Vitafol-One contains 1,000 IUs of Vitamin D.
- Iodine intake during pregnancy supports fetal cognitive development (12,13).
- The American Thyroid Association recommends that pregnant women receive 150mcg of supplemental iodine (14).
- Vitafol-One contains 150 mcg of Iodine.
- DHA during pregnancy supports fetal cognitive and visual development (15,16).
- The plant based DHA found in Vitafol-One is safe for use in pregnant women with seafood allergies (16).
- Vitafol-One contains 200mg of plant based DHA.
- A primary function of iron is to carry oxygen to bodily tissues via the blood cells. Anemia, or low iron status, is one of the most frequent complications related to pregnancy .
- The amounts of iron that can be absorbed, even from an optimal diet, are less than the iron requirements in pregnancy. Supplemental iron is often recommended during pregnancy .
- Polysaccaride iron complex bypasses the stomach intact releasing its iron content in the duodendum. This gastric delivery mechanism has been shown to improve absorption while minimizing risk of gastric irritation.
- In physiological states that require increased cell reproduction such as pregnancy, folic acid needs are concurrently increased (18,19).
- Vitafol-One contains 1 mg of Folic acid.
There are many prenatal vitamins on the market, it maybe hard for you to choose which one suits you. The chart in "Why Vitafol-One" may help determine the differences between prenatal vitamins. Talk to your healthcare professional to decide which prenatal vitamin meets your needs.
While there is no specific rule of thumb, it’s a good idea for women to begin taking prenatal vitamins before pregnancy, throughout pregnancy and during the postnatal period for lactating and non-lactating mothers. This ensures that the would-be mom has adequate nutrition in order to keep her baby’s health on track during pregnancy and after delivery.
If you are planning to breastfeed your baby you may want to continue taking prenatal vitamin supplements until your baby is weaned from breastfeeding.
Although missing one single dose should not harm your baby, taking more than the suggested daily intake may not be a good idea as certain concentrations of vitamins bay be toxic to a growing fetus. It’s best to establish a regular routine and take your prenatal vitamin at the same time every day. This way you’ll be less likely to forget.